Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Manuel Gómez
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:13:27 +0100

El 15/11/13 23:24, Bob Proulx escribió:
Wow.  That was from two years ago.

I found the description of my problem while searching for a solution. When I found it by my own experimentation I wanted to share it with the other possible sufferers. I suspect the original poster and I are not the only ones.

It may be true that the display code is very inefficient there.  But
I don't think it is that reasonable to expect an X program to be
snappy fast over a high latency WAN connection.  There are many
issues with throwing a display remotely.  Many programs have been
written to try to optimize it.  But it remains a hard problem.

This is the only interaction that it is slow over this connection. Once disabled, it runs smoothly.

Instead I definitely recommend that you try using emacs in text mode.
That is the original operation mode.  It is really quite a fine
terminal screen editor.  The performance of throwing whold characters
over the Internet will be much better than throwing pixels over the
Internet.

I prefer disabling only the mouse-highlight feature. I wouldn't like to loose other graphical features when it is not needed. But I agree with you that a modern Emacs is also very good in the terminal.