Re: How to find out if emacs is running inside GUI or terminal

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: How to find out if emacs is running inside GUI or terminal
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:04:05 -0700

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >   (if window-system
> >       (setq mouse-yank-at-point t))
> > And to head off complaints about the example, it is only an example.
> > I am aware of 'fboundp'.
>
> I'll complain about something else, then :-)

:-)

> C-h v window-system
>
>   [...]
>
>   Use of this variable as a boolean is deprecated.  Instead,
>   use `display-graphic-p' or any of the other `display-*-p'
>   predicates which report frame's specific UI-related capabilities.

Deprecated!  I wish people would let the API mature and stabilize.  I
hadn't heard of the display-graphic-p functions yet.  Thanks for
mentioning them.

> So your example should be
>
> (if (display-graphic-p)
>
> There are several display-*-p functions for querying about specific
> features for a display.

Sure.  Unless you happen to be using an older emacs that doesn't have
those newer functions.  I will have to look to see how long they have
been around.

Bob