Hang with markdown-mode

From: Leo
Subject: Hang with markdown-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:52:05 +1100

The problem
-----------

I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do
the following:

1.  Start emacs
2.  Create a new file, say, with name changetest.txt.
3.  Put (or keep) it in markdown-mode.
4.  Write some text in changetest.txt and save the file to disc.
5.  Switch to another buffer, so that that buffer changetest.txt is not
    visible.
6.  Open the file changetest.txt in another editor.
7.  Change and save the content in this other editor.

You will get the message

    changetest.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)

But then emacs will hang; no input will get you through the question prompt and
keyboard-quit does nothing, so you have to kill emacs.

Results of my investigation
---------------------------

-  The problem arises only in markdown mode.
-  The "changed on disk" message is issued by
    ask-user-about-supersession-threat.

Via debug-on-error I was able to locate the problem a bit more in detail:

-  It seems like the hang occurs through an endless recursion or loop in
markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link which is triggered when emacs switches to
the changetest.txt buffer.
-  markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link is triggered through the
window-configuration-change-hook hook.

Questions
---------

-  How can I avoid this, but keep the
    markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link functionality?
-  Is window-configuration-change-hook maybe not the right hook to put
markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links in?

Thanks, Leo