Re: function keys in macro

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: function keys in macro
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:34:41 +0100

> Have you bound M-f2 to any command?

Well, I use Emacs in a Linux VT (tty1 to be precise)
and M-F2 (or Alt-F2) will switch to tty2. In
/etc/console-setup/remap.inc, with

# J - Emacs to the left...
alt keycode 36       = Decr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 36 = Decr_Console
# L - ... Linux VTs with tmux to the right
alt keycode 38       = Incr_Console
ctrll alt keycode 38 = Incr_Console

I have bound those functions to Alt-J and Alt-K
instead, but I haven't unset those old "short"cuts
because I'd never use them for anything else.

That's why, in Emacs (in tty1), I can't hit M-F2 and
have Emacs process it, because the tty1 will intercept
it and jump to tty2.

But, I just tried Emacs in X and no: M-F2 is unbound.

So, for everything to fall into place like the blocks
of Tetris, if I put those keys in a macro, could I jump
between the ttys programmatically with Elisp?

I have tried the following shell/X tools to accomplish
the same task:

* chvt (doesn't work from Emacs, tmux, or X, but from
  an "empty" Linux VT, it works to everywhere including
  X)
* xdotool (works from everywhere, but you cannot get
  from the "VT world" to X)
* xmacroplay (works just like xdotool, which makes sense)

So the best solution I found so far, which is 99%
satisfactory, is remap from the VT world, and xdotool
from X.

In fact, I just got a new idea writing this, remap to
some unused shortcut (or even Unicode char, if those
could be put in macros), and then have a macro "type"
that... stay tuned!

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573