Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs

From: William G . Gardella
Subject: Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:09:43 +0000

Alexis Praga <alexispraga@mailoo.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> When fetching new mails with 'g', Gnus does not see the new mail in my
> inbox and I have to restart it in order to show them.
> New mail arrive in ~/Mail/inbox/new and Gnus moves it automatically to
> ~/Mail/inbox/cur.
> Also, the 'inbox' group disappears when fetch new mail !
> Here's my config :
>
> (setq
>         gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Mail/"))
>         mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/Mail/inbox/" :subdirs ("cur"
> "new")))
> )

If your MTA is delivering mail directly to your maildir, you should not
also be using the same Maildir as `mail-sources'.  This will cause Gnus
to process the mail twice, with potentially inconsistent results.

As noted in the Info documentation:

> Do _not_ use the same maildir both in `mail-sources' and as an
> `nnmaildir' group.  The results might happen to be useful, but that
> would be by chance, not by design, and the results might be different
> in the future.

(info "(gnus) Maildir")

If the MTA is delivering mail directly to the maildir at ~/Mail/, you
only need the following:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnmaildir ""
                  (directory "~/Maildir/")
                  (get-new-mail nil)))

`mail-sources' should also be nil.  This variable is only useful when
you want Gnus to "pull" the mail from some location, such as an mbox,
pop server, or Maildir at a remote site or elsewhere on the system; it
should not be used when the mail is "pushed" directly to the very same
location where Gnus is storing it.

> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnmaildir+inbox:Sent/cur")

is also a bit odd.  You're telling it to use the nnmaildir server
"inbox", which in your config doesn't exist, and you're also telling it
to use a specific subdir inside the maildir, rather than the maildir
itself.

I would rewrite this part of your config as

(setq gnus-message-archive-method gnus-select-method
      gnus-message-archive-group "Sent")

This is very close to the config I use myself and I love it, so I hope
this advice helps.