Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 07:25:48 +0000

Alexis Praga <alexispraga@mailoo.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:26:19PM +0000, William G. Gardella wrote:
>> "g" from the *Group* buffer should Just Work now.  All messages in new/,
>> and all messages not marked as Seen in cur/, will count towards the group's
>> Unread count.  If this isn't working yet, it's likely that there is
>> something else strange going on with your config.
>>
>> As per the Maildir standard, MTAs/MDAs which are compatible with the
>> Maildir format deliver to new/, and when flags (for example "Seen") are
>> appended, the mail is moved from new/ to cur/ with the filename altered
>> appropriately, e.g. ~/Mail/Inbox/new/[some-maildir-id] becomes
>> ~/Mail/Inbox/cur/[some-maildir-id];S when marked Seen by Gnus.
>
> I have been doing some tests by moving old mails in Inbox/new and
> testing the different configurations.
>
> At the moment, Mutt (which works correctly) moves the mail from
> Inbox/new to Inbox/cur and appends a ';S' to the name as you say.
> However, when starting Gnus, new mail is directly moved to Inbox/cur
> without the Seen flag. And after reading it, the Seen flag is still
> not appended !

Yeah, now that I look at it, you're correct; Gnus moves from new/ to
cur/ as part of its initial processing of incoming mail (generating news
overview files from the metadata and stashing them away in .nnmaildir
inside the Maildir).  It is only marked as read, though when quitting or
manually updating the group, with q or x respectively.

> Can it be due to some file locking ?
> Also, would it help to do some kind of reinitialization of gnus ?

Are you keeping the *Summary ...* buffer for your Maildir open during
this testing?  If so, I think that's the problem.  Changes to a
message's unread or flagged state are not actually committed to the
Maildir until you do x (`gnus-summary-limit-to-unread') or q
(`gnus-summary-exit').