Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 23:23:27 +0100

On http://www.aioe.org/ I read that

> Aioe.org hosts a public news server, an USENET site
> that is intentionally kept open for all IP addresses
> without requiring any kind of authentication both for
> reading and posting.

Like I said, I got an email requesting I confirm my
identity the first time I posted on gmane, so that
could be an explanation to the slower speed. Also, it
could be that gmane holds much larger archives. Or
even, as I have used Aioe long time, that there is a
more elaborate file tree on my disk.

Anyway, Aioe is not liberal on spammers:

> Spam, pornography, paedophilia, and any kind of
> abuses are not tolerated.

They do this by not having the binary groups, which, I
heard, were the reason for the decline of Usenet (how
many digitized Aldous Huxley articles add up to one
lamer sharing porn?).

They also do it by limiting the number of messages you
can send. I recently got banned that way temporary, but
I found that I got a new IP with

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo dhclient eht0

Perhaps that should be done with care...

On the news page, as for gmane, it says:

> gmane.* hierarchy was deleted since a good feed is
> missing for those groups.

Well, that's interesting!

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573