Re: movies

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: movies
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:13:35 +0100

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> Why isn't there a movie on RMS, GNU, and Emacs?  I'd
>> watch it.
>
> About a month ago I shared a screenshot that someone
> had captured showing that when one googled for emacs,
> there was a sponsored ad for vi.
>
> And your response was:
>
>> Ha ha, who cares, no one clicks ads anyway. What do
>> you think this is, the 90s? Hey, let's trade banners
>> and create web rings :) I'll even add a rotating
>> skull, and a burning barrel!

Ha ha, yes that sounds like me.

> 2. PR does not matter

I think that PR matters but I think it is to hazardous
to put too much effort on, because it isn't sure it
will work to any extent that matters. A that point, you
will have lost a lot of time. Personally, I'm not into
it either, that is, I don't find it interesting.

But as for Apple, Jobs was obsessed with PR so what you
say seems to be true, as there are two movies on him,
and probably lots of other material as well (books,
documentaries - but I think "we" have some of that,
too).

> Let me give a martial arts analogy: If you only
> mirror' (is that the word?) the opponent, you cannot
> win because he has first-mover advantage If you only
> calculate your own moves and techniques and ignore
> the opponent, you cant win because you will be
> surprised.

Yes, true.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573