Re: Manual Creation of BBDB Records

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Manual Creation of BBDB Records
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:53:09 +0700

"Daniel E. Doherty" <ded-law@ddoherty.net> writes:

> All,
>
> I am trying to migrate Wanderlust to Gnus.  I want to keep contact
> information in BBDB, but my experience with auto-create in Wanderlust
> was that BBDB got filled with a lot of uninteresting and useless
> emails.  I know I can have auto-create filter out what's created, but I
> would rather control when a record is created.
>
> What I would like is this:
> - If a e-mail arrives from (or cc'ing) know e-mails, it does the pop-up
>   window and shows the bbdb record.
> - If the record or records are not in bbdb, by hitting the ':' key (or
> whatever) it creates a record for me to edit.
> - It would be nice also if the e-mail name and address in the header had
> different colors based on whether they are known or unknown.
>
> Does anyone have such a setup that they could share with a poor newbie?
>
> Thanks.

First of all, are you using BBDB 3? If not, I'd strongly recommend the
newest version.

Then try these settings:

(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd ":")
  'bbdb-mua-display-records)

I may be forgetting some relevant bit of config, but give that a shot.
My setup sounds pretty much just like what you're after.

Dunno about coloring the sender names, though...

Eric