Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:59:42 -0500

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 18:34:37 +0100 Alan Schmitt
<alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

AS> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> Gnus is trying to run a command to view the attachments in a temporary
>> file.  After the command exits, the file is cleaned.  In your case the
>> command fails immediately, so the "open" command is not working.

AS> Well, the failing is that the pdf viewer tells me the file is not there.
AS> Is it because the following happens:

AS> - 'open foo.pdf' launches the pdf viewer with the file and returns
AS>   immediately;
AS> - as 'open' has returned, gnus clean up the file;
AS> - the pdf viewer complains that the file has disappeared?

I think so.  My system doesn't have `open' so I don't know if it has an
option to run synchronously, but you could either write a wrapper script
or set up the MIME handling to call the PDF viewer directly.

AS> If so, is there a way to tell gnus not to clean up after opening an
AS> attachment? (The /tmp files will eventually be deleted.)

I don't think there's built-in functionality for this, but it can
probably be written.

Ted