Re: .emacs poser

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: .emacs poser
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:38:41 +0700

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> IMO you’re doing it wrong, by solving the general problem of entering
>> special character for a specific case of Emacs.
>
> There is no wrong or right way here.  Does your keyboard have a key
> that inserts the character `2' (yes)?  Is dedicating that key
> sequence to inserting that one character wasteful or "doing it wrong"?

No, because this works in the VTs, in all programs running in VTs, on
all X displays, and in all programs running on X displays.

> Binding a command that inserts a commonly used character to a key
> can be quite handy, regardless of whether there is also a general
> way to insert any character.

Exactly. But I argue that if one wants a special character in Emacs,
one will also want the same character in other programs, entered by
the same means. Therefore, the place to set up that binding is the XKB
map and the corresponding console map.