Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Andrey Tykhonov
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 03:23:04 +0200

2014/1/5 York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com>

> Hi Andrey,
>
> Jump to Stack Overflow worked. Thank you.

Nice!

> P.S. Why use minor mode in the result buffer? In my opinion, it is better
> to use
> major mode for this purpose.

First of all because it is small enough, in my opinion, to be a major mode.
It contains in itself only three key bindings. So I decided that minor mode
will be appropriate. And also may be because I was thinking about feature
when some appropriate major mode will be turned on for a pop up buffer. For
example, you make a query "python file exists", howdoi.el sees that query
contains some keyword which could be related to major mode ("python") and
turns on python-mode (in a pop up buffer). But as I understand such feature
could be good only when code snippets are requested. I mean that cases when
someone wants just code snippets (without any explanations, without context
etc) would be probably rare appeared (therefore I removed such
functionality for an pop up buffer). However I'm not sure. For me it is
much more better to get an answer with short context. And in case of code +
explanation major mode (such as python-mode) is inappropriate there...

So, for now, there is no any major mode and minor mode is implemented.
However look forward for ideas about major mode. How it could make
howdoi.el better? Which benefits do you see?

Andrey