Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs24 problem of installation on Debian testing (jessie)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:51:02 +0100

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com>
writes:

> I have finally discovered the error. I had try to
> build emacs from sources and the emacs bin in
> /usr/local/ prevented a clean install of the Debian
> package. It was simple, but it was very long and hard
> for me to understand what happened!

You are not the only one. 'aptitude' (and the related
tools) are great for doing the basic stuff, but when
you want to take a look under the hood you are
instantly lost. With 'whereis emacs' in zsh you get:

emacs: /usr/bin/emacs /etc/emacs /usr/lib/emacs
/usr/bin/X11/emacs /usr/share/emacs
/usr/share/man/man1/emacs.1.gz

And that's not all, because you can get even more paths
(corresponding but nonetheless) with 'whereis emacs23'
and so on.

But it makes sense. The tools are simple but the jungle
beneath is not, and does not pretend to be, either.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573