Re: Fwd: Stray CR chars everywhere

From: Eric Fowler
Subject: Re: Fwd: Stray CR chars everywhere
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 09:46:07 -0800

Sorry to confuse you. Here are the particulars:

I am running emacs on windows 7, editing files on a fedora box using TRAMP
and plink. The linux box has no GUI, just command line. Emacs from the
prompt on that machine works fine. Emaccing windows-origin TXT files from
the windows box ..... <quick check/> .... seems to work, no munging of
CR/LFs.

Emacs:

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2009-11-03 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Linux:
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.12.6 #1 SMP Mon Dec 23 16:36:09 PST 2013 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Output of Alt-: is '(undecided-dos . undecided-unix)'

Symptoms were that buffers maintained by emacs (I vaguely recall build
output, buffer list, file list; not totally sure) started showing those ^M
chars. I ignored them and kept working.  Next time I had to present a
password to TRAMP, it didn't like my pwd, which has not changed. Searching
for a solution to that problem, I found the 'net wisdom is that the cause
is CR/LF confusion between TRAMP, ssh (plink?), and emacs. So I assume I
bumped a switch in emacs somewhere and hosed my CR/LFs.

Eric

--
cc:NSA