Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 02:20:07 +0100

> What is new in 24.4 is EWW which is not an html
> renderer but a web-browser, which uses SHR to do the
> rendering.

Thanks for that fine print clarification. While I
suppose we should be grateful for even more great
software, it would be interesting to know the reasons
for this new browser.

Is it a problem that Emacs-w3m is "3rd party"? I only
have good words for Emacs-w3m - it does its job and it
is so easy to configure, both keys (typically, they use
too long keys, especially for a non-type setting), and
colors (not their fault, because they don't know what
colors I use) - the rest is programmable, as always...

I remember when there were Lynx, but I was put off
because I couldn't make it scroll one line at a time,
and they even said in the manual that this was
impossible. Then there were Links, but I didn't
experience it as near as solid/mature as Lynx (back
then, anyway). Now, I see in the Debian repositories
there are, apart from those two, and w3m, and
Emacs-w3m, also "Elinks", which sounds like Emacs +
Links, but the "E" is for "Enhanced", so it is a fork
of Links, I take it.

So it is a crowded marketplace.

--
underground experts united: