Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Trying to right-align my window on startup
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:15:36 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:27:06 PM UTC+5:30, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Dnia 2014-01-14, o godz. 01:24:34
> Rusi  napisał(a):

> > On Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:15:05 PM UTC+5:30, Juanma Barranquero
> > wrote:
> > > I just hate its UI.
> > If a first year student of mine cannot distinguish data and code
> > (s)he'd get an F grade. customize does that.

> How lucky that John McCarthy was not your student...

> No offence, just could not resist a (maybe lame) joke.  I agree that the
> distinction may be important.  My logic professor used to say: "What
> does it mean that a mathematician *identifies* two things?  It means,
> first of all, that he *distinguishes* them."  Maybe it's similar here.

He He! Yes that is so.
Some of the most notable things in CS come from such 'mixups'
- data = code in von Neumann machines
- Universal TM swallowing TMS as data
- gödels theorem
 More on my blog here
http://blog.languager.org/2012/05/recursion-pervasive-in-cs.html

But there should be some point to the mixup.

I see things like the foll in my custom-file
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.

;; And I call the above crud

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-firefox))
 '(calendar-week-start-day 1)
  etc etc
)

If instead it contained an sexp but not valid elisp eg
((browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-firefox))
 (calendar-week-start-day 1))

there would be no such issue because then what could be in custom-file could
not possibly be in an elisp file and vice-versa