Re: accented letters ( typing in )

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: accented letters ( typing in )
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 05:30:49 +0100

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> On Debian (and I assume on Ubuntu which is a fork)
> you can configure your keyboard to create a compose
> key.

That's interesting, because the Ubuntu is *dropping* X
for their own window system, Mir ("world" or "peace" in
Russian, perhaps unrelated), which they want because
they say X isn't flexible enough for their (Ubuntu's)
thrust on devices, and they (Ubuntu) have lost
confidence in Wayland. Kubuntu though, the "female"
Ubuntu that uses KDE instead of Gnome, will keep X and
keep supporting Wayland. Now, they are not crazy enough
to completely drop X, as it will be shipped even on
Ubuntu, with XMir in between, because there are so many
tools (and scripts) that rely on X. Still, I have
absolutely no idea what "old X stuff" will work
seamlessly on future Ubuntu releases and its many
sub-distros...

(Or so I've been told, I use Debian like you.)

By the way, great post. Keep it if this question
rearises, put it in a FAQ, or carve it on a sand
beach...

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573