Slash (?) matching in XML and HTML mode

From: Mark Tilford
Subject: Slash (?) matching in XML and HTML mode
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:43:33 -0600

I'm not sure what the term for this is...
In C-mode, when the user types a close curly bracket, Emacs briefly
highlights the matching open curly bracket.

I'm having an annoyance with HTML / XML mode.

If I type out something like the following:
<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>My Web Page</title>
  </head>
    <h1>Heading</h1>

When I type the slash in /h1, Emacs briefly highlights the slash in br/.
 (Other close tags don't trigger any such   This is incorrect, and is
getting very annoying.  What's going on, and how can I stop it?

(Acceptable behaviors would be "Don't highlight anything" and "Highlight
the appropriate open tag".)