Re: How close does Emacs already come to Soulver?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: How close does Emacs already come to Soulver?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:07:23 -0500

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes, Emacs and Org could do this.  You would need to let a table's
>>> formulas be recalculated at each insertion (see post-command-hook).
>>>
>>> That said, those demos are shiny when watching for a few seconds,
>>> but we you really edit a buffer, you don't really want text that
>>> is *not* under point to change at each insertion.  This is tiring.
>>> At least this is how I feel it.
>>
>> I'd actually be quite satisfied with having to call something to have
>> the results recalculated, how would I go about getting the actual
>> calculations done though?
>
> You mean C-c C-c on the #+TBLFM line ?

Perhaps. I hadn't heard of TBLFM prior to this.

How could I use that (sounds like part of the Spreadsheet subsystem of
Org?) to do something like `2 dogs x 3 pounds of food x 7 per pound =
${recalculated field:42}`, which is what Soulver seems to do?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/