Re: indirect-buffers and text-properties

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: indirect-buffers and text-properties
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:13:11 +0000

>> So, question, anyone know why the text-properties get shared with
>> indirect-buffers and is it possible to stop?
>
> To change that, you'd have to change the underlying C code.
> Probably a non-trivial change.

That was my impression. Ah, well, unfortunate.

> My recommendation: stay away from indirect-buffers.
> They are an attractive-nuisance.

Really? I've started using them because they enable me to have the point
in two places at once; for example, in the pre-amble and the body of a
latex documented. Of course, you can do this with two windows, but this
is too sensitive to window configuration; if you remove one of the
windows, then you lose the position of point (in favour of the still
visible window). Indirect buffers seem to be a nice solution for this.

Even as it stands, having the same content in two different modes seems
very powerful; instead of using one of the various multi-mode options, I
was thinking of having a single document in two side-by-side windows,
one for changing the code (in one mode) and one for changing the
comments (in another).

Phil