limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?

From: ivowel
Subject: limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:14:27 -0800 (PST)

Depending on the width of the terminal, emacs may split one of the buffers
vertically or horizontally when I run a compile (or replace the other window
with the compile window).

I would like to imitate the "old" behavior, where one could only have two
windows (current plus compile), and they were lower and upper windows, not left
and right windows.  how would I set this?

thanks.

/iaw