Re: Do not switch focus to the completions buffer window

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Do not switch focus to the completions buffer window
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:08:52 +0100

Hi Leo,

> Hi all,
> How would I go about preventing *Completions* buffer window from receiving
> focus?  I find some value in having it pop-up, but its usability is very
> questionable.  Using Tomohiro Matsuyama's popwin, it is very easy to
> dismiss the buffer with C-g.  What I want is for it not to even receive
> focus.  I tried creating the following piece of advice; the code doesn't
> work but it gives you an idea of what I'm after:
>
> (defadvice comint-dynamic-list-filename-completions (around
> unfocus-completions-buffer activate)
>   (let ((cur-win (selected-window)))
>     ad-do-it
>     (select-window cur-win)))

The *Completions* window is never selected for me.  I tested with Emacs
23 and Emacs 24.  Even better, with the latest Emacs release, the
*Completions* pop up window is even automatically closed after
successful completion.

So I think what you see is caused by your setup, or you use a really old
Emacs version.  Or please give a recipe of what you see starting from
emacs -Q.

Regards,

Michael.