Long response times from elpa.gnu.org

From: Johan Andersson
Subject: Long response times from elpa.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 11:13:35 +0100

Hi,

I have in the last months noticed that elpa.gnu.org can be really slow and
sometimes package.el times out when fetching the archive-contents. Note
that this does not happen all the time. Most of the times it works
perfectly fine.

I am in Sweden, but I have also noticed that tests on Travis fails at the
same time. For example:
https://travis-ci.org/ecukes/ecukes/jobs/18464804From the Travis
output:

Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Failed to download `gnu' archive.

This is not specific to any Emacs version. I have the same issue in these
versions: 23.4, 24.1, 24.2, 24.3 and snapshot.

Any ideas?