Proper use of `deactivate-mark'?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Proper use of `deactivate-mark'?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:19:11 +0100

Hi List,

in a function I switch from buffer A to buffer B, mark the
thing-at-point, do something with it, conditional on

  ,--------------------
  | (and
  |  (use-region-p) ...
  `--------------------

, then call `(deactivate-mark)' at the end of the function and switch
back to buffer A again.

But the next time I switch to buffer B, the mark that was region-end
before seems to be still active - the region between that mark and the
actual point position is highlighted also I did not set any new mark
again.

Isn't that the appropriate use of `deactivate-mark'?
How can I make sure that no mark is active anymore when I'm done in
buffer B and switch back to buffer A?

--
cheers,
Thorsten