Re: Somehow strange behaviour of `mark-sexp'

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Somehow strange behaviour of `mark-sexp'
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:15:39 +0100

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I'm not sure why you would expect sensible behavior from a command
> intended for dealing with Lisp code in the *Help* buffer, which is just
> plain text.

As vi(m) users keep telling us, actual editing is much less frequent
task than navigation etc., and they like the fact they can do navigation
etc. very conveniently with one-key commands in read-only mode in their
modal editor.

I wrote navi-mode.el for this vi(m)-like experience when working with
org-mode or source-code buffers in emacs - one-key commands in read-only
mode for navigation, structure editing and a kind of remote-control of
the associated source buffer.

The remote-control commands were restricted to act on outline subtrees
before, but today I generalized them to act on the 'thing-at-point',
wether an outline-subtree or an sexp - using mark-sexp.

Now you can mark, copy, kill, query-replace, isearch, yank (and probably
more) not only outline-subtrees but also defuns, lisp expressions and
even plain-text words directly from the *Navi* buffer without switching
to the associated source-buffer ... thanks to mark-sexp's quite sensible
behaviour even outside its original scope.

--
cheers,
Thorsten