Re: replacing a function with another one

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: replacing a function with another one
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:51:38 +0100

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> I can´t get advice-add to work.  The documentation doesn´t explain it,

That's not true.  Technically you find everything you need to know in
the documentation.  The problem is that it does say nothing at all about
usage in practice, no examples, etc.  It's absolutely not sufficient for
beginners.  That's indeed a problem - there is already a bug report
about it, btw.

> and google doesn´t find any examples.  It either doesn´t work, or I´m
> getting weird error messages that don´t tell me anything.  Code that
> works fine when used in a function suddenly gives an error message that
> says that setq is an invalid function.  Remove the (setq something
> tosomething) and suddenly all the rest of the function is invalid for no
> reason.

If you feel better with the "old" advice.el, just use this.  It will
probably be still supported in many years, just because many third party
packages use it.

Michael.