Re: replacing a function with another one

From: lee
Subject: Re: replacing a function with another one
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:14:56 +0100

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> The function is defined in the source.  The documentation of it should
>> tell you what it does and how to make it do that.  Besides that the
>> documentation of advice-add doesn´t do that, advice-add is complicated,
>> convoluted and cryptic.
>
> It's only cryptic for you because you are not yet used to LISP and its
> concepts.  This is no critic; the working of nadvice is just hardly
> understandable for someone not knowing yet how `let' works.  This is
> also no critic.  We have all started from the beginning, and I respect
> that you start hacking with a quite ambitious project.  Once you are
> having fun using higher order functions and such stuff, you'll see that
> it makes some sense.

Maybe in a few years ...  I just learn by doing --- I`m using emacs for
over 20 years and wish I had learned more in the past.  I never got to
it and didn`t bother much because it has always been working great.

Elisp is fun when you get used to it some, and it`s surprisingly
powerful.  I have created a mode from scratch yesterday and set up a
repo for things like that: https://github.com/lee-/emacs

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.