Re: Odd slowness in grep and dired modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Odd slowness in grep and dired modes
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:57:07 +0200

> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:25:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Smith_RS <rsmithpv@gmail.com>
>
> On Friday, March 21, 2014 1:13:06 AM UTC-7, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > What exactly "slows to a crawl" in these situations?
>
> I trace Emacs using Process Explorer, on a machine with 4 available cores I
> see 25% utilization which (to my understanding) means it's at 100% on that
> core. It takes as long as 30 seconds to a minute to catch up.

Nothing similar is seen on my system.

> If I do a non-trivial grep, my attempts to select files out of the grep
> results creates enough lag to make the selection process not usable.

Sorry, I don't understand: lag between which events?

> Even when I do all the things to turn off tooltips it doesn't stop the
> behavior.

Which means the mouse-fixup-help-message is a red herring.  Some other
factor is at work here.

Did this start lately?  If so, what changed around the time this
started happening?

Also, does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If not, I'd suspect some
customization you have on your .emacs init file.