How to have two parallel emacs environments?

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: How to have two parallel emacs environments?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:46:02 +0100

Hi,

I would like to reorganise and actualise my emacs current setup files.

To facilitate this time consuming and laborious process I would really
like to experiment in a temporary second emacs environment which would
gradually be extended to eventually provide at least the support
currently provided by my official setup.

I was hoping that I could start an alternate emacs using the -u option so
that I could get a separate instance using the growing new setup file.
But obviously that does not work as it expects a user name, not an init
file path.

Is there any way to launch an emacs with a specific init file?

Or is there a different approach to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas,

Guido

--
The story you are about to hear is true.
Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.