Re: how to ediff with the diff buffers in separate frames?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: how to ediff with the diff buffers in separate frames?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:08:02 +0100

Ian Kelling <ian@iankelling.org> writes:

> > By default, Ediff should reuse your two frames when they are already
> > displaying the buffers to diff.  Is that the case for you?  If yes, I'm
> > not sure I understand your intention.
>
> No. That doesn't happen. Perhaps it is a problem with the dev version
> of emacs I'm using. I will investigate further. Thanks.

AFAIK, there are two possible reasons for that:

1.  Have a look at `ediff-get-visible-buffer-window'.  This is the
function that tries to find a frame (with a window) already displaying a
buffer to diff.  Depending on your setup, it could be the case that one
of your frames is not "visible".  For me, this is the case for example
when the frame is on another virtual desktop.  Change this defun to see
whether this is the problem in your case:

(defun ediff-get-visible-buffer-window (buff)
  (if (ediff-buffer-live-p buff)
      (if (featurep 'xemacs)
          (get-buffer-window buff t)
        (get-buffer-window buff t))))
;; change this argument         ^

2.  There is a feature called "wide display".  If it is enabled, ediff
always uses a two windowed frame.  I'm not sure how it works and if it
is turned automatically.

Michael.