Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:38:07 +0300

> From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:39:02 +0000 (UTC)
>
> On the other hand, an application is not REQUIRED to call ToUnicode();
> it may rely on delivery of WM_CHAR instead.  So it looks like what you
> call “support of Unicode input” is that in some rare cases, Emacs
> calls TranslateMessage() (which enables delivery of WM_CHAR).  (I
> cannot still understand the logic of operation; to me, it looks like a
> complete mess of special cases…)

No, I meant that the input loop now gets Unicode codepoints on systems
that support that.  More often than not, ToUnicode is not needed.

> This matches my experiments with 24.3: the simplest cases of Unicode
> input work, the more complicated ones fail.¹⁾

Please report those cases as bugs, and please include all the
necessary details to reproduce the problems.  Thanks.

> It IS possible to handle keyboard input on Windows WITHOUT any special
> cases.  (See the reference in the original message.)  You cannot
> decide what to do with keypress without either calling ToUnicode(), or
> inspecting the following WM_CHAR message (may be done by
> peaking — after TranslateMessage()).

Patches to do that are welcome.  (I don't think we have anyone on
board right now who knows as much as you do about this.)