Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:09:27 +0300

> From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:12:16 +0000 (UTC)
>
> On 2014-03-28, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> It IS possible to handle keyboard input on Windows WITHOUT any special
> >> cases.  (See the reference in the original message.)  You cannot
> >> decide what to do with keypress without either calling ToUnicode(), or
> >> inspecting the following WM_CHAR message (may be done by
> >> peaking — after TranslateMessage()).
> >
> > Patches to do that are welcome.  (I don't think we have anyone on
> > board right now who knows as much as you do about this.)
>
> If I had a working build system for Emacs, I would love to do this.  I
> have cygwin (full), Strawberry Perl (which should come with working
> mingw, I presume), and MSKLC (which comes with some old MS C
> compiler).
>
> I will try to compile it, but a presence of somebody who would hold my
> hands if/when something does not work would not hurt.  (I never
> managed any C project on Windows.)

You will find lots of support for that on emacs-devel@gnu.org.

I suggest to start with the current development trunk of Emacs.  When
you clone the trunk, read the file nt/INSTALL first, it includes
description of the tools (MSYS and MinGW) you need to install to have
an environment, and then you just do the usual Unix configure && make
thing.

Thanks.