Build emacs on debian

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Build emacs on debian
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 16:38:31 -0400

Running debian (jesse/testing)

I've built emacs for yrs but have not done so for a good while now.

I'm running into errors I've hit before and recognize but do not
recall which pkgs were necessary to make configure work.

There must have been some devel pkgs removed in the interm.

My ./configure cmd

  ./configure --with-xft --with-x-toolkit=lucid
                --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test

A few lines of output containing the error below:

  [...]
  checking for long file names... yes
  checking for X... no
  checking for X... true
  configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
  were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
  and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+ or Motif.  Also make
  sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
  tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.

[...]

Any debian people here who know what I'm missing?