Re: emacs slow on dired renaming

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: emacs slow on dired renaming
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:41:43 +0100

On Sun, Apr 06 2014, Robert Marshall <spam@capuchin.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 06 2014, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>> From: Robert Marshall <spam@capuchin.co.uk>
>>> Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 13:39:11 +0100
>>> So it would appear to be either what I'm loading in .emacs.desktop or
>>> what I'm doing after that in that session which causes that symptom to
>>> gradually appear. I've never seen the problem with an emacs session
>>> which lasts less than c 2 hours.
>>
>> I guess the next step is to look in your desktop file.
>>

> First I'm going to try starting an emacs session with the .emacs.desktop
> file loaded and largely leave that session alone (apart from dired
> renames) give it 12 hours and see if the problem appears. If so I'll
> start reducing the desktop, otherwise I'm going to have to look at what I
> do in emacs in the normal session -  I'll compare featurep between the
> desktop left alone session and now.

That session - which I left sitting there didn't produce the problem.
AFAICT, there appears to be a point where the memory footprint of the bad
emacs session greatly increases (but spotting when it does is still
eluding me)

/proc/$emacspid/status is currently giving me

VmPeak:  2123196 kB
VmSize:  2120600 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmPin:         0 kB
VmHWM:   1274504 kB
VmRSS:    983744 kB
VmData:  1373744 kB
VmStk:       156 kB
VmExe:      2184 kB
VmLib:     36492 kB
VmPTE:      2816 kB
VmSwap:   370112 kB

the process is using around 25% of the available memory (4GB) but maybe
the problem is that there isn't more and it's spending its time getting
out of swap?

I've not opened any particularly large buffers since I started this session
(some were opened during startup by the desktop but the largest one
is around 1meg)
Looking at the variables suggested by
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Memory-Usage.html

cons-cells-consed
59741973
floats-consed
196763
vector-cells-consed
71162058
symbols-consed
252132
string-chars-consed
307585551
misc-objects-consed
1241806
intervals-consed
400985
strings-consed
7853976

do any of these look out of the ordinary for an emacs session which has
been running around 24 hours (having suspended the machine overnight)?

A manual call to garbage-collect returns nil and pure-bytes-used is 88 -
I don't know what this should be but it doesn't look sensible? Maybe a
refresh from bzr and rebuild?

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau