Re: upcase-word, &c. for non-latin alphabets

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: upcase-word, &c. for non-latin alphabets
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 09:55:40 +0700

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Does it also do the right thing for the Turkic dotted and dotless I
>> (which is about the only thing in Unicode that cannot be up/downcased
>> without knowing the language)?
>
> N o, Emacs doesn't yet support titlecase.

As far as I understand, titlecase is when you capitalize each word in
a sentence (in English; in other languages rules differ). My question
was not about that.

In Turkic languages (including but not limited to Turkish), the
lowercase of ?I is not ?i but ?ı (U+0131 Latin small letter dotless
i), and the uppercase of ?i is ?İ (U+0130 Latin capital letter I with
dot above).

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.3.1
[…]
$ emacs -Q
M-x set-language-environment
Turkish
(in *scratch*) M-< M-u
==> ;; THIS buffer… (wrong for Turkish)
<down> <home> M-l
==> ;; if you want… (also wrong for Turkish)

Further, if I paste the above paragraph and try M-u and M-l on those
funny letters, Emacs does nothing to them.

This happens even when I do “sudo locale-gen tr_TR.utf8” and/or start
Emacs as “LANG=tr_TR.utf8 emacs -Q”.