Re: customising a theme?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: customising a theme?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:41:19 +0100

> Hi Sharon,
>
>     Sharon> During my time working with emacs I have tried many themes
>     Sharon> to find my 'ideal theme', which sometimes seems to change
>     Sharon> almost everyday. Currently, it is "firebelly", except it has
>     Sharon> several shortcomings -
>
> Same for me.  I'm also stuck to it since it appeared in Melpa.

I'm using emacs 24.4.50.4 the development version and one of the themes that
has come with it is 'tsdh-dark-theme'. This is similar to firebelly but better
:) If you want a copy Michael, let me know and I'll email a copy to you.

>     Sharon>  * when you highlight text, it is unreadable due to it being
>     Sharon> the same colour as the background, so it is very hard to
>     Sharon> highlight anything.  * TODO items with *** are very
>     Sharon> indistinct, so faded that it is almost the same colour as
>     Sharon> the background.  * anything that is commented out is
>     Sharon> extremely dim and faded, and difficult to read.
>
>     Sharon> I use the following key-bindings to help in choosing and
>     Sharon> disabling a theme - (global-set-key (kbd "<f11>")
>     Sharon> 'disable-theme) (global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'load-theme)
>
>     Sharon> How then can I use this theme with its shortcomings? Is
>     Sharon> there a better theme with similar properties?
>
> The readability much depends on your monitor.  For me, everything is
> readable, although I find it irritating that variables are even "more
> faded" than comments.

My monitor is very good, although I've never considered it when choosing a
"ideal theme"!

> Anyway, why don't you just contact the author (the best way would
> probably be an github issue)?
>
> About customizing: AFAICT you can't use the customize interface to
> customize any custom theme (which makes sense since these themes are
> already sets of customizations).
>
> But the defining files are just normal elisp files - in our case,
> "firebelly-theme.el".  You can just edit it - it's very easy to read -
> or better make your own copy of the theme and put it somewhere in your
> `load-path'.

I've always found it difficult to correlate the failings of my current theme
to the positioning in the 'foobar-theme.el'.

But for me now, "tsdh-dark-theme.el" fits the bill as my ideal theme!

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1