Re: custom backspace

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: custom backspace
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 00:00:46 UTC+1, Sam Halliday  wrote:
> I'd really like an emacs configuration whereby backspace will go back one
> layer of indentation if the previous character is an indented whitespace, for
> all programming language modes.
>

> Also, I'd really like control-backspace to be contextual so that it will eat
> up all the whitespace if the previous character is whitespace, or delete a
> word (which I think is the default) if the previous character is a
> non-whitespace character.

I should add some information to this to explain why I need some help:

1. "m-x describe-key" tells me that my "backspace" or DEL is bound to

 (backward-delete-char-untabify ARG &optional KILLP)

  with value untabify. But if type lots of spaces (e.g. in the scratch or my
.emacs) and then press backspace, it only goes back one character at a time...
not untabbing.

2. describe on my control-backspace reveals that this is bound to C-backspace.
But when I try to create any form of binding for C-backspace in my .emacs I get
an error that control must be followed by a single character... so I don't have
a clue how to rebind this.

Help greatly appreciated :-)