Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: tutorial for rmail and IMAP
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 06:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, 26 April 2014 10:40:22 UTC+1, Robert Thorpe  wrote:
> There are limitations though.  Google describe them here:
> https://support.google.com/a/answer/1071518?hl=en
> https://support.google.com/a/answer/2751577
>
> You may hit them if you configure Emacs tools in certain ways.

I don't think this will be a problem for me, as I don't get that much mail
(although the archive is large and will take some time on first use).

I gave up trying to use movemail for IMAP access as it just doesn't seem to
work at all for me, even on the command line. Instead, I'm investigating using
offlineimap which has created me a bunch of Maildir folders under ~/Mail.

This setup means that I can send mail, and I can use M-x google-contacts to
look up my contact list (I've not yet integrated it with M-x m).

However, I still can't get rmail to see the Maildir folders.

I keep most of my config here https://github.com/fommil/unix I'd really
appreciate it if an experienced Maildir rmail user could point out what I am
doing wrong.

Incidentally, from reading the documentation it would appear that rmail doesn't
really support mail folders or browsing of email. Is that correct? If so, I
don't think it's going to work for me.

I'm really looking for a simple mail client that allows me to search mail,
browse folders, and "tag" or "untag" messages (which is how gmail moves mails
between folders). Much as how this person does things:
http://chrisdone.com/posts/emacs-mail

I'm going to experiment with the notmuch client and I might give gnus another
try.

Thanks all so far, I've not given up on rmail but I'd really like to know if it
is worth pursuing or if notmuch is a better fit for my needs.