Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:52:42 +0200

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

> Your comment that you don't recommend either for emacs noobs - is that
> because it will stop me learning the stock vanilla ways of completion
> or simply because of the difficulties inherent in getting to know
> these complex packages?

I did not want to dissuade from starting with Helm or Icicles, I just
don't know if it's a good idea.  Depends on your way of learning,
probably.  Icicles and Helm are quite complex and offer substitutes for
diverse tools in Emacs.  Learning Emacs that way may let you miss some
basic stuff and features of vanilla Emacs.

I don't want to discourage you from starting with Helm or Icicles.  If
you think it'll work for you, then just try it.  If you are getting
confused, you can still put Helm or Icicles back for a later moment.  In
any case, reading the manual (C-h r) is a must.

Regards,

Michael.