Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dir(Top) is in French ?!?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:49:45 +0300

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:32:20 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This is not an Emacs problem.  This is how the install-info.exe
> > program (part of the Texinfo package) works: it localizes these
> > introductory instructions to the Info system when it installs Info
> > files.
>
> I don't have the source code installed, but I don't believe that is
> true.

>From install-info.c:

  desc = open (dirfile, O_RDONLY);
  if (desc < 0 && errno == ENOENT)
    {
      FILE *f;
      char *readerr = strerror (errno);
      close (desc);
      f = fopen (dirfile, "w");
      if (f)
        {
          fprintf (f, _("This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the\n\
topmost node of the Info hierarchy, called (dir)Top.\n\
The first time you invoke Info you start off looking at this node.\n\
%c\n\
%s\tThis is the top of the INFO tree\n\
\n\
[...]

As you probably know, text that is in _() will be replaced by gettext
with its localized translation.