Re: but you don\u2019t know if you don\u2019t ask

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: but you don\u2019t know if you don\u2019t ask
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 05:44:08 +0100

>> you don't know if you don't ask.
>> appears as - you don\u2019t know if you don\u2019t ask
>
> Someone who knows more about this than I will correct me, but
> I'd guess that you need to try another font, which will display
> that Unicode char.
>
> (When you say "it starts out as", I assume you mean that the
> curly apostrophe char appears OK in the place where you copied
> it from, and not that it appears ephemerally OK in the Emacs
> buffer where you pasted it but then changes to \u2019.)

I open a text document in "leafpad" copy to system clipboard and
paste from there to emacs, and the problem shows up.

I open a web page, copy some text to the system clipboard and then
paste it into emacs, and the problem again shows up.

One commonality, I use "simpleclip" which liaises between the system
clipboard and the emacs buffer.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.90.1