Re: Searching for spaces

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Searching for spaces
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:36:42 -0500

> Current computer: Kubuntu 14.04 and emacs 24.3.1
> Previous computer: Kubuntu 12.04 and emacs 23.3.1
>
> With the new machine I'm no longer able to search for consecutive
> spaces.  Specifically, I regularly want to search for 5 consecutive
> spaces as part of a keyboard macro.  The beginning of that macro is as
> follows:

> The above would locate each instance of 5 consecutive spaces.  This is
> no longer the case.  How can I get the old behavior back?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary

Oops, sent to Gary only (reply instead of followup)

I guess you have to fall back to 23.3 I see the same behavior even with
C-s (without using a macro). Repeated invocations of C-s moves cursor to
the next space, not the next string of 5 spaces. Btw, I don't think you
need that comma after the open paren. Maybe you saw the comma when you
queried with C-h k:

"
C-x ( runs the command kmacro-start-macro, which is an interactive
autoloaded compiled Lisp function in `kmacro.el'.

It is bound to C-x (, C-x C-k C-s, C-x C-k s.
"

Ed

Btw, am on w32 and w64