Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 03:45:07 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I am using latex and working on a document all in
> emacs. I have been using the biblatex citation system
> with the style "numerical", but now want to use
> "authoryear".

First, your post looks a complete mess! I don't know if
it is my Gnus but I doubt it as I haven't seen anything
that plain chaos (since my last birthday party at
least) - just type, man!

Here is how to do it - the trick is to not have any
"operational" data in the biblatex file - just the
sources.

For example, if you have the poor taste of taking an
interest in databases - in db.bib:

@Book{mcfadden,
author = {McFadden and Hoffer and Prescott},
title = {Modern Database Management},
publisher = {Addison-Wesley},
year = 1998,
ISBN = {0-8053-6054-9},
edition = {5th edition}}

Then, in db.tex, you keep everything to it that relates
to *your* activity (the pages in this example):

\cite[pp. 233, 237]{mcfadden}

You can see how it works in context here [1] - perhaps
there are a couple of settings in the .tex file that
prepare it all to work. Don't forget the Makefile so
you can invoke it all in one stroke.

Also, check out comp.text.tex.

Good luck!

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/latex/degree/