Re: etymology of obarray

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: etymology of obarray
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 20:41:29 +0200

> Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> writes:
>
>> Where does the word obarray originate?  What is "ob"?
>
> Object, perhaps? Just a guess, but if you are

Yes, Object Array.

It already existed in MACLISP:
 http://www.maclisp.info/pitmanual/symbol.html

Originally, in LISP 1.5, it was an OBLIST.
cf. page 12 of http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/HOPL2-Uncut.pdf

And in LISP 1.5 we have those occurences of OBLIST:

grep -niH -e oblist lisp15.asm
lisp15.asm:1531:       AXC     OBLIST,2           POINTER TO OBJECT LIST
lisp15.asm:1534:       RNT     DEBUGI             SKIP MARKING OBLIST IF IN A
DEBUG
lisp15.asm:8871:OBLIST SYN     BUCKET
lisp15.asm:8951:               OBLBA,,-*-1        OBLIST OBJECT
        GENER068
lisp15.asm:9921:               -OBLIST
        GPLI0823
lisp15.asm:9923:               -*-1               OBLIST
        GPLI0825

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/