Re: cd to the user's home dir

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: cd to the user's home dir
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 19:02:31 -0600

Andrey Tykhonov wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >   Change default directory: ~/
> >
> > If I type in ~someuser/somepath that is expanded appropriately and
> > everything works fine.
>
> Oh, I'm sorry! I just tried ~someuser/ and it does really works! Before
> I've tried just ~som and hit TAB after that. I expected appropriate
> completion but didn't get it and decided that that doesn't work at all,
> also I tried cd ~someuser RET (without ending slash)...
>
> Does completion work for you if you type ~someu TAB ?

Yes.  Name completion with TAB works for me.  I am running on a Debian
system.

But playing with it I find that it doesn't work exactly the same as
find-file completion.  If I have "~/" and I try "~/~rooTAB" it will
not complete to ~root/.  I must backup first.  "~rooTAB" works.  This
is slightly different than find-file.  In find-file a slash or tilde
immediately starts a new path.  In the graphical client it greys out
the preceding path.  I think cd is enough different from find-file
that it would classify as a bug against cd because of the
inconsistency.

Bob