Re: setting default font name

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: setting default font name
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 06:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

Haines Brown wrote:
> I finally am able to open an emacs session that relies on

> **a custom init file** using the -q -l options

>by setting the font in a session that is started without the -q option, and
>then save that font to its init file. Then I can copy that material to the
>init file used with the -q option.

There seem to be a lot of issues around the specific font issue, functions
used, syntax etc that would be great to get isolated and correct solution
posted FFR.

However I want to also point out the more general issue that you appear to not
have completely absorbed from my and Drew's posts above - see my emphasis above.

By launching with the -q option you are

  A) instructing Emacs to launch without ANY init file at all, even if you then
also load a script to be eval'd with the -l option - this is NOT the same as

And

  B) explicitly instructing Emacs to NOT save any configuration changes made
through the Customize facility - as you are informed by a warning message at
startup.

Launching instances of emacs either via another user's session or by scripting
a different $HOME folder before launching emacs as in the thread I pointed out
above is IMO a more straightforward way to test most config/init issues with
clean slate to troubleshoot interference from other packages/scripts normally
loaded in your production setup.