Re: numbered backups

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: numbered backups
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 22:27:12 +0200

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Yes, that's exactly the behavior I'm looking for! I tried it in eshell,
> and it worked perfectly. How do I get dired to act like that?

You just need to set the default value of `dired-listing-switches'
accordingly and add the -v flag, e.g.

    (setq-default dired-listing-switches "-ahlv")

But also note: when I used that some while ago (now I use always version
control), I saw that -v was incompatible or didn't work so nicely with
some other ls options - I don't know the details anymore.  But in
general, it works well with dired, also s (`dired-sort-toggle-or-edit')
should work ok with it.

Michael.