Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 06:35:54 +0400

Eric Abrahamsen (2014-05-24 05:37 +0400) wrote:

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

>>> This took some doing, but I found that you can type ctrl-x 8 return and
>>> then enter the hex code 2200
>>>
>>> ∀
>>> ∪
>>> √
>>
>> I forgot to include the link:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Inserting-Text.html
>>
>> and the ∃ is 2203.
>>
>> You will need to set the buffer coding before you save it I
>> think.
>
> You can also use the unicode names, that's a little easier. For
> instance, type C-x 8 <RET>, then type "FOR ALL" (you get completion),
> and there's your ∀.

Also if you use those symbols a lot you may bind them to keys, for
example like this:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-A") "∀")
(global-set-key (kbd "M-E") "∃")

or even like this:

(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-A") [?∀])
(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-E") [?∃])

With the second variant the symbols may be inserted anywhere (including
isearch).