Re: RTF for emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RTF for emacs
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 19:07:44 +0200

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> If you are capable of helping to add RTF editing to
> emacs then you are surely capable of handling LaTeX

Definitely! And it is a better project which also
involves a community. If you can't stand
Star/Libre/Open Office and the like word processors,
why try making Emacs into one?

> However I'm not clear from your post how deeply you
> are into the Emacs world. Do you, for example, know
> about Auctex, the LaTeX-writing mode for Emacs?

And latex-mode.

> My own experience is that learning Emacs and LaTeX is
> a life-work in itself, on top of the need to actually
> make a living, raise kids etc etc!  T.E.A., the
> Tweaking Emacs Addiction, has been the ruin of many.

Yes! On the other hand it is pleasant, relaxing, you
learn stuff, and all the improvements you make, you
immediately can use and benefit from (even derive
pleasure and pride). Compare this to all the morons
who who spend years on the grandiose MMORPG or
would-be-Quake-killer, projects that will never
complete and from whose activity it is very difficult
to flow anything sensible (and generalizable) to the
outside world.

Emacs hacking is an OCB trap but it is possible to get
out on the other side and have a system you really,
really enjoy (and have mastered, not the least through
the tweak process itself) - but sure, if you don't get
out and is stuck starving in the buffer in-between,
then it sucks.

> The answer is to create templates, especially for
> LaTeX - then just insert as needed ...  Seems like
> re-inventing the wheel!  The time might be better
> invested in getting a grip on LaTeX.

Absolutely right! Why don't you write here more often,
Mr. Millington? :)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573