Re: artist-mode/aa2u

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: artist-mode/aa2u
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 10:28:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 12:21:02 PM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Rusi writes:
>

> > So currently I am torn between: On the one hand
> > xelatex does not work, classic latex works On the
> > other this is freakin 2014 do we still stay in 1980
> > and write \alpha \beta \gamma \delta ... \omega and
> > \sum and \forall when we can directly write α β γ δ …
> > ω ∑ ∀ ??
>

> I think \alpha is better. I can't see those other chars
> for starters and I'd like to be sure everyone see what
> I write.

Yes… not seeing *is* a problem. We are in times of transition...

> Also, how did you insert them? ("\alpha" takes zero time to type.)

Inserting α is identical to inserting \alpha – just use tex input method
in emacs

Of course in the long run even this is way too much.

I need one keystroke to type an 'a' 1½ (that is 1-and-a-half if you cant see it)
to type a 'A' — a shift+A chord.  I would expect all standard heavily used
keys to be upto 3-4 keystrokes away. eg the half above is 3 keys:
Compose+1+2. [Ive set compose to the Windows-menu key]

So I can get
αβψδεφγηιξκλμνοπ;ρστθωςχυζ
by typing
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

if Ive setup my keyboard to switch between greek and us, thus

$ setxkbmap -option "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll" -layout
"us,gr"

Since I am not primarily interested in greek, I of course dont do this